Our entry has been bothering me for a while. Even though there is an actual designated entry closet (which is more than I can say for our last place!), our stuff still seemed to pile up in the corners of the space. Shaun was constantly losing his keys, his wallet, our bags didn’t have anywhere to go… It wasn’t functional.
I’ve been working away at it, seeing which systems worked for us and which didn’t. Here’s where we landed! (Get it? Landing strip? Ha!)
1. First up, our dog leash hook. I love this piece from Anthropologie!
I’m a big proponent of adding fancier touches, even if you’re on a small budget. A cute piece like this was 20 bucks, but it adds a fun little touch (B for Bali Bear!), without splurging on a ridiculously expensive piece of furniture. It also prevents your home from looking like an IKEA ad!
2. Next is my favourite part of this little corner: a drop zone for our keys, wallets, phones and sunglasses.
Originally, our entry didn’t have a spot to place these items when we came in, so I either placed them in a bowl down the hall, or randomly around the apartment.
I had been looking for small key hooks for a while, but it wouldn’t really do any good for wallets and sunglasses. When I saw this wire organizer from Winners, I had an idea.
These I think would usually be used in drawers or free standing, but I thought it would be a perfect solution to our problem! I printed out a label on basic cardstock, and added a cute little touch with some washi tape.
From here, after some trial and error with screws, we discovered picture hanging hooks were a perfect solution.
Where were we?
3. Place a wastebasket for incoming garbage or recycling. (Ours is used to keep newspaper contained.
4. Stop dirt from being tracked inside your home with entry mats. These are two cheapos from Ikea layed side by side.
5. Our last issue was bags. We’d come home from school, and Shaun’s backpack ended up thrown into this corner. I tried thinking of all sorts of spots we could keep it, when he reminded me of one of my organizing standbys, that he loves too: instead of trying to change your family members habits, work with them and create solutions from there. He always puts his bag here, so I repurposed a basket from our bedroom to make a contained spot for his bag. Much cleaner!
I love the character in our home. Now that we have a clean entry, I can appreciate our rounded archways and beautiful original floors so much more!
Oh yes, you must be wondering about my bonus tip! To the left of the mirror, down the hall, we also have a spot to sort our mail, using an Ikea Kvissle. Check out the how to here. You can’t see the labels on the side anymore (I might eventually just move them to the front), but this little nook was just perfect for it! (What were those used for, anyway? Ideas?)
I’m loving our newly organized entry… Hopefully seeing it every day will keep me motivated to tackle other problem spots in our home… There are many.
I hope you found some inspiration to tackle your small entry. Be sure to check back soon for Part II, our entry closet!